I experimented a lot with chocolate mug brownies before getting the consistency right. Here is the perfected mug brownie recipe.
Vegan Mug Brownie Ingredients
3 tbsp self-raising flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sunflower oil (or any oil that isn't strong tasting)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp water
tiny pinch of salt
Vegan Mug Brownie Recipe
1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa and oil in a large mug.
2. Add the water SLOWLY to the mug, while mixing with a spoon, so there are no lumps.
3. Microwave for 1.5 minutes.
4. Moan with pleasure.
A great variation is to add raspberry jam to the mix before microwaving.
You can change the consistency of your mug brownie by adjusting the amount of oil - more oil with give you a gooey mug brownie, whereas less oil will produce something more like cake.
Friday, 15 February 2013
Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Pre-made veggie burgers often leave a lot to be desired. This mushroom burger is full of flavor, packed with chunks of mushrooms and satisfying richness.
|Vegan Mushroom Burger|
Mushroom Burger Ingredients
3 cups chopped mushrooms
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tsp yeast extract
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp dried basil
Mushroom Burger Recipe
1. Sautee mushrooms and garlic in olive oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine mushrooms and garlic with breadcrumbs, yeast extract and basil.
3. Add water until the breadcrumbs become wet and sticky.
4. Mix, adding water as necessary to get a sticky consistency that can be molded into patties.
5. Fry mushroom burgers in oil.
6. Serve on a while roll with salad and homemade salsa, with a baked potato, or with saffron rice.
Beans and vegetables are all very well, but sometimes you have a craving for creamy smooth sauces that melt in the mouth. Unfortunately, many creamy pasta sauce recipes use non-vegan ingredients like milk or cream. This is where a hand blender and some slow-cooked red lentils can come in handy for a vegan cook. Smother your pasta with this thick and creamy lentil pasta sauce, which is delicious hot or cold.
|Smooth lentil sauce with fusili pasta|
Pasta Sauce Ingredients
1 cup dried red lentils
1 cup tomato juice (gives a smoother sauce than canned or fresh tomatoes)
1 clove crushed garlic
dried or fresh basil
Vegan Pasta with Creamy Sauce Recipe
1. Boil red lentils for about 30 minutes until they are soft and mushy.
2. When most of the water has boiled away, add tomato juice and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
3. Flavor with basil, garlic and salt (for an even tastier sauce, replace the salt with vegan miso*).
4. Blend sauce using a hand blender until it is smooth.
5. Serve with pasta, sauteed mushrooms, and green beans.
*Miso powder/paste makes almost any dish richer, but be careful: miso that you buy from your local Asian store will likely contain fish extracts. Mishima Vegetarian Miso makes a great base for soups and sauces.