|Smooth lentil sauce with fusili pasta|
Pasta Sauce Ingredients
1 cup dried red lentils
1 cup tomato juice (gives a smoother sauce than canned or fresh tomatoes)
1 clove crushed garlic
dried or fresh basil
Vegan Pasta with Creamy Sauce Recipe
1. Boil red lentils for about 30 minutes until they are soft and mushy.
2. When most of the water has boiled away, add tomato juice and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
3. Flavor with basil, garlic and salt (for an even tastier sauce, replace the salt with vegan miso*).
4. Blend sauce using a hand blender until it is smooth.
5. Serve with pasta, sauteed mushrooms, and green beans.
*Miso powder/paste makes almost any dish richer, but be careful: miso that you buy from your local Asian store will likely contain fish extracts. Mishima Vegetarian Miso makes a great base for soups and sauces.