Goulash is a Hungarian dish that is traditionally made with meat. You can make vegan goulash with beans such as kidney beans, cannellini beans, or haricot beans - or a mixture. Goulash is strongly spiced with paprika, and you can add extra flavor by using garlic and fresh coriander.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
1 can (400g) kidney beans
1 can (400g) cannellini beans
2 cans (800g) chopped tomatoes
3-4 medium-sized potatoes, diced
100g fresh spinach
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tbsp paprika
1 liter vegetable stock
handful of fresh coriander
Vegan Goulash Recipe
1. Fry the onion and garlic in a large saucepan until they start to brown. Add the potatoes and fry for a few minutes longer.
2. Add the tomatoes, beans, paprika, and most of the vegetable stock.
3. Leave the vegan goulash to cook for 30-40 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Add the rest of the stock as needed to stop the goulash from drying out. The consistency should be that of a thick stew.
4. Add the spinach and stir it into the goulash. It will look like a lot of spinach at first but it reduces dramatically in size as it cooks.
5. Add the fresh coriander and serve immediately.
Vegan goulash is filling enough to eat on its own, or you can enjoy it with crusty bread.